John Mackenzie joined Educators’ Collaborative in 2013 with over forty years experience in independent schools. An independent school graduate, John’s early experience as a teacher, coach, department chair, college counselor, and dean provided him with a hands-on understanding of schools as both academic and social communities. He worked at day and boarding schools as well as coeducational and single-sex institutions on the East Coast and in the Midwest.
John earned an A.B. in Government from Bowdoin College and was a Joseph Klingenstein Fellow at Teacher’s College Columbia University, from which he earned a M.A. in Educational Administration. He served as a Head of School for twenty-two years, including six at Worcester Academy (MA) and sixteen at Columbus Academy (OH). Prior to becoming a Head, John had senior administrative positions at Belmont Hill School (MA), Milton Academy (MA), and Potomac School (VA). He was a Trustee of the Independent School Association of the Central States (ISACS) for nine years, including two as Board Chair.
Since joining Educators’ Collaborative John has assisted a range of schools with head and senior administrative searches, mentored new heads, and advised on facility planning. He was named Managing Partner of the firm in 2014.
- Educators’ Collaborative, Partner, 2013 – 2014, Managing Partner, 2014 – 2019
- Columbus Academy, OH: Headmaster, 1997 – 2013
- Worcester Academy, MA: Headmaster, 1991 – 1997
- Providence Day School, NC: History Department Chair, 1990 – 1991
- Potomac School, VA: (Founding) Head of Upper School, 1986 – 1990
- Milton Academy, MA: Principal for Boys, Dean of Upper School, 1981 – 1986
- Belmont Hill School, MA: History Department Chair, Coach, College Counselor, Director of Upper School, 1970 – 1981
- Canterbury School, CT: History Teacher, Coach, Dormitory Master, 1969 – 1970
- The Governor’s Academy, 1965
- Bowdoin College, A.B. Government, 1969
- Columbia University Teachers College, M.A. Educational Administration, 1981 (Joseph A. Klingenstein Fellow)
- Board of Trustees, Cincinnati Country Day School, 2015 – present
- The Country Day School Headmasters Association, 2008 – present
- Board of Trustees, Independent School Association of the Central States (ISACS), 2005 – 2013; Chair, 2010 – 2012
- Board of Trustees, Ohio Association of Independent Schools (OAIS), 2001 – 2005
- Board of Trustees, Dynamy, Inc., Worcester, MA 1995 – 1997
- Eight Accreditation Visiting Teams for Independent School Association of Central States and New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Executive Committee, Bowdoin College Alumni Council, 1989 – 1993