Overview of the School
Vistamar School is a college preparatory, co-educational, independent day school that serves a very diverse population of students in grades 9-12, supported by a generous program of Moderated Tuition. Approximately 35% of our students participate in our Moderated Tuition program, and approximately 50% of our students identify as students of color. As described in our mission statement, we seek to attract a faculty and student body who bring diversity of thought and culture to our school community, and who will be committed to ensuring that we provide an inclusive environment for the respectful exchange of multiple perspectives. Vistamar is located in the eastern-most section of El Segundo. The school is close to major freeway interchanges and is well serviced by public transportation, including a commuter rail station.
Since our opening in 2005, enrollment has grown steadily to 280 students, who are drawn from over 50 different middle schools and over 35 different zip codes in greater Los Angeles. Both tuition and salaries are competitive with other Los Angeles- area independent schools. Vistamar is fully accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and holds institutional memberships in the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Council of International Schools (CIS).
Overview of the Position
The Director of Admissions is a full-time position, reporting to the Head of School, responsible for the school’s recruitment, admissions, and enrollment processes. Vistamar operates in a competitive environment, requiring that the admissions office maintain a highly visible profile and responsive, client-centered communication. The Director is an initial contact for many families inquiring about the school and plays a significant role in shaping the first impressions and ongoing experience of families in the admissions process. The Director works closely with all departments to support the admissions and marketing program, interacting with a variety of constituents, including volunteers, students, applicant families, faculty and staff, sending schools, and other referring organizations. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to make effective presentations to large and small audiences, adaptability in the face of changing demands in a growing organization, and strong organizational skills. Proficiency with technology, including experience with database, spreadsheet, and word processing applications is required. Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and manages the admissions team by providing vision, objectives and expectations of work performance that support the admissions office and its activities in meeting defined goals.
- Oversees the planning of all admissions events held on campus.
- Initiates telephones calls, e-mails, and written correspondence to prospective applicants and their families.
- Provides regular reports and planning documents to senior leadership, the Board and faculty on the results of admissions activity.
- Initiates research studies/projects, which aid in understanding the effects and outcomes of admissions and financial aid policies and practices; assesses results and seeks feedback from families in the application process on a regular basis.
- Works in close coordination with the Business Office to:
- Develop and oversee the school’s yield strategy, ensuring that marketing efforts are tied to the school’s financial plan
- Determine financial strategy and allocations
- Prepare and manage the departmental budget, monitoring all expenditures to assure compliance with the policies of school.
- Works closely with the Director of Finance or his designee to develop a yearly plan for financial aid awards. Serves as a member of the Moderated Tuition Committee, which determines financial aid award packages for admitted students; performs needs analysis, packaging, counseling, phone calls, office visits, and all contacts with current and prospective moderated tuition students.
- Works with Development Office to promote fuller understanding of admissions and financial aid policies and issues within alumnae body.
- Works closely with parent volunteers and coordinates the supervision of student admissions ambassadors.
- Communicates respectfully with a diverse population of current and prospective students and families.
- Attends outreach events at school and at other sites during the workday and on some evenings and weekends.
- Works collaboratively with the Director of Communications to create marketing plans and develop admissions publications and programs that are consistent with the overall strategy and design of Vistamar School.
- Prepares and mails official correspondence from the Admissions Office.
- Maintains and oversees the dedicated database for the Admissions office, conducts research on the compiled statistics, and produces reports as needed.
- Provides logistical support for the production of admissions-related marketing materials and the placement of advertisements.
- Other appropriate duties as assigned from time to time by the Head of School.
- Masters degree preferred
- A minimum of 5 – 7 years of experience in admissions and/or communications and marketing, preferably in independent schools and/or the non-profit sector and including prior leadership experience.
- Experience with marketing strategy and experience in brand management
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills as well as a proven ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels.
- Extensive experience with social media tools and techniques
- Ability to both lead and execute
- Outstanding judgment and maturity
- A very high level of energy, creativity and flexibility
Vistamar School is a 501c3 non-profit corporation which does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin or sexual orientation in administration of our educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, employment, and athletic and other school administered programs.
How To Apply
Additional information about Vistamar School is available on the School’s website: https://www.vistamarschool.org. Applicants should submit a current résumé, letter of interest, personal statement/statement of educational philosophy and a list of 5 references by e-mail to: Marcus Hurlbut, Educators’ Collaborative at email@example.com No calls please.