About the School:
Founded in 1894, The Woodward School is a grade 6-12, all girls’ day school in Quincy, Massachusetts with a current enrollment of 60 students. For over 125 years, Woodward has provided a rigorous college preparatory curriculum in an environment where students are challenged to achieve their potential as scholars and citizens. Woodward empowers girls to become academically skilled students who are well prepared to succeed in four year colleges and who are strong advocates and confident, lifelong learners.
The school’s mission is to cultivate each student’s academic and personal potential to enrich the world with courage and creativity. In addition, students are expected to make a lifelong commitment to using their gifts and talents for the benefit of others. Woodward is intentionally small – just as the school’s Founders envisioned – and a low student-teacher ratio creates an environment where all students are known, cared for and challenged to prepare to lead.
Each Woodward student experiences leadership opportunities as part of her daily life. The school emphasizes the virtues of generosity, integrity, responsibility, leadership and service and aspires to help develop skills and talents of students which might remain below the surface in larger school environments.
Woodward utilizes proven instructional methods and innovative approaches to meet the learning needs and the potential of each student. Woodward’s faculty remains unwavering in their commitment to student growth and development.
Woodward’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is real and this is evident in all aspects of school life – the educational program, curriculum decisions, community interactions, inclusive decision making, and anti-bias training.
About the Position:
The Board of Trustees is highly engaged and committed to supporting the Head of School. The next leader will inherit a dedicated and talented faculty and staff; a joyful and motivated student body; a supportive and grateful parent community; and a beautifully renovated facility.
The Board seeks a Head of school with the following skills and talents:
- An accomplished and strategic leader who will guide the school through its continued evolution, building on its strong foundation and working with the Board of Trustees to continue to improve an educational model that is uncompromising in its quality and commitment to the student experience.
- A school leader who has had success leading a school program and working with middle and high school students.
- A proven commitment to research-based learning models.
- The ability to inspire a highly committed faculty and staff.
- Familiarity with the breadth of secondary curriculum and co-curricular programming
- A commitment to support a culture of lifelong learning among both students and adults, pushing girls’ education and research forward and acting as a thought leader in girls’ education.
- Ability to grasp the whole picture of independent education — e.g., admissions, advancement, finances, marketing, etc. and how they influence programmatic decisions,
- A demonstrated ability to build financial support among donors, parents, and alumnae necessary to achieve the school’s aspirations.
- A passion for continuing the school’s important work to be a more diverse and inclusive community of students and adults.
How to Apply:
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following materials in one continuous Word or PDF document.
- Educators’ Collaborative Candidate Summary Sheet and Disclosure Form (contact Marcus Hurlbut for those documents)
- Letter of Interest addressed to the Search Committee
- Current résumé
- Statement of Educational Leadership Philosophy
- A Diversity Statement describing your specific skills/experiences working with diverse populations, your values related to diversity and inclusion, and how you see yourself contributing to achieving equity and enhancing diversity at Woodward
- A list of five or more references with contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)
Please address any inquiries or expressions of interest to:
- Marcus Hurlbut, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC (email: email@example.com, phone: 949-279-3084)