About the School
The Episcopal Academy (EA) is a PreK-12 co-educational, independent day school located in suburban Philadelphia. Since its founding in 1785, EA has dedicated itself to educating the whole student in mind, body, and spirit. That simple, yet powerful, approach has resulted in EA being widely recognized as one of the finest independent schools in the nation, graduating students exceedingly well prepared for their next steps in life. EA is well known for its academic excellence, competitive athletics, vibrant arts programming, as well as holistic character and leadership development. Today, more than 1,250 students are enrolled at the school.
EA’s campus boasts state-of-the-art facilities and generous green space on 123 picturesque acres in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania. Highlights include: ten science labs, two theaters, two arts studios, band and choral rooms, music technology studio, dance studio, nine athletics fields, six-lane pool, competition gym, and 18,000 square foot fieldhouse.
Desired Employee Attributes
An EA employee is…
- Student-centered, embraces school and life and shows it through actions and interactions with students, colleagues, and parents.
- Embodies and lives The Stripes.
- Consistently maintains high standards for his or her own work and motivates others to achieve the same standard of excellence.
- Demonstrates a desire and willingness to constantly grow and learn, both personally and professionally, and sees others – especially students – as having the ability to learn and reach success.
- Fosters a positive culture by being optimistic, selfless, flexible, and collaborative.
- Demonstrates a belief in and commitment to fostering an inclusive and diverse school community.
About the Position
The Assistant Head of School is responsible for the smooth and successful running of day-to-day operations across this Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade school. This position should be viewed as the chief administrative officer, inspiring other leaders of the school community to work together effectively to solve both routine and complex school issues and to move the leadership team forward strategically and collaboratively. The Assistant Head’s work should promote a culture of growth that meaningfully advances the school’s priorities.
The Assistant Head reports directly to the Head of School and serves as the secondary leader in the school. The Assistant Head needs to have a strong public leadership presence, representing the Head of School when necessary and effectively communicating the mission and vision to all members of the community. To be successful, the Assistant Head needs to establish and maintain strong relationships with all constituencies, becoming deeply attuned to the school’s culture, needs, and opportunities. The Assistant Head manages multiple complex projects, balancing this work along with taking the initiative needed to effectively manage day-to-day school operations.
Successful candidates will be culturally competent academic visionaries with a demonstrated track record of strategic thinking and effective project management, as well as strong evidence of having consistently taken initiative that led to successful outcomes. The Assistant Head should genuinely enjoy the varied and diverse aspects of school life and all that it entails. Above all, successful candidates will have demonstrated a commitment to serving others, inspiring them to work hard, improve practice, and fulfill the mission of the school. This position requires a master’s degree or higher.
How to Apply
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the materials listed below.
- EC Candidate Summary Sheet (contact Nat Conard for this document)
- Letter of Interest
- Statement of educational leadership philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)
Please address any inquiries or expressions of interest to:
- Nat Conard, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 908-531-5183)