About the School
The Speyer Legacy School is a K-8 independent co-educational day school enrolling 319 accelerated learners located on Manhattan’s West Side. At Speyer, students are empowered to pursue their intellectual passions, guided by faculty who help them develop the habits of mind and strength of character to realize their extraordinary potential. They learn in a research-based environment that responds and adjusts to match their academic abilities and their emotional development to challenge intellect and nurture integrity.
About the Position
The Speyer Legacy School seeks a Head of Lower School to manage Kindergarten through Grade Four. Collaborating with faculty, staff, and administration in support of the school’s mission of supporting children who are accelerated learners is paramount. The ideal candidate possesses creativity and flexibility in solving problems, a sense of humor, enthusiasm for designing innovative curriculum, and strong interpersonal skills that foster cooperation and build community. The Head of Lower School works closely with the Head of Middle School in curriculum and policy development, serves on the administrative council, and reports to the Head of School.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of child development, gifted education practices, and current trends in education.
- An understanding of the importance of differentiated instruction and other pedagogical approaches for students who are gifted; experience in gifted education settings preferred.
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in Education or Education-related field preferred.
- Minimum of five years teaching experience in Kindergarten through Grade Four; administrative experience in a school setting preferred.
- Experience or training in gifted education preferred.
How to Apply
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following materials:
- EC Candidate Summary Sheet (contact Deirdre Ling for that document)
- Letter of Interest addressed to the Search Committee
- Current résumé
- Personal Statement or Statement of Educational Philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)
Please address any inquiries or expressions of interest to:
Deirdre Ling, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: 508-423-1605.