About the School
An independent, 4-year high school, Quest Forward Academy was founded in March 2017 as a demonstration school for Opportunity Education’s Quest Forward Learning. When the school opened in September 2017, there were 13 students enrolled. In September 2018, the school began its second year with 32 students. As of September 2020, the school has 105 students and plans to add 50-60 Grade 9 students each academic year until the total school enrollment reaches 240.
The mission of Quest Forward Academy is to equip students with the mindset, habits, and skills to succeed in college, life, and work, and enable them to become value creators for themselves and their communities. Students engage in an innovative, project-based digital curriculum that supports specific skills practice while developing the solid academic foundation students need for success in higher education, career education, or military service. Students work together in small cohorts, supported by mentor-teachers who provide substantive feedback and coaching. Mentors serve as Socratic guides by challenging assumptions and spurring students to achieve.
In 2020, Quest Forward Academy launched the Pathways Program, a thoughtfully designed program to support and position students for a successful career. The program combines elements of social and emotional development, career discernment, internship and service-learning experience, and four years of college and career counselling. Upon graduation, Quest Forward Academy students will be supported for an additional six years, through college or other tertiary education, and into a successful launch of their careers. At Quest Forward Academy, students learn how to learn while building a foundation for a meaningful life.
When the COVID-19 crisis occurred in March 2020, Quest Forward Academy moved all classes to remote learning without missing a single day of instruction, and without any loss in student performance in the courses. The Academy’s Seamless Learning plan integrates remote learning with in-classroom learning allowing students to participate fully in class in real time even if they are unable to be physically present in the classroom.
Quest Forward Academy is funded by Opportunity Education, an educational foundation established by Ameritrade founder and former CEO Joe Ricketts. Opportunity Education also provides operational oversight and support to the Academy.
About the Position
The leadership team of Opportunity Education has launched a search to identify a new Head of School for July 1, 2021.
The next Head of Quest Forward Academy will be an experienced, approachable, and strategic leader who will embrace the culture of the school. They will possess the passion and the skills to expand the school to its envisioned scale, and establish it as a leading educational organization in greater Omaha.
The qualities and characteristics of the next Head of School are:
- High energy, well organized, extroverted leader
- Excellent communicator and natural connector
- Comfortable forging relationships with local business and community leaders
- Comfortable working in a matrixed environment and interacting closely with members of Opportunity Education
- Confident and down to Earth
- Prior Head of School or Senior Administrative experience required
- Prior experience with progressive learning/learning innovation strongly encouraged
- Ability to jump in and get acclimated quickly
- Experience working with students from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
How to Apply
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the materials listed below in one single Word document or PDF by October 15, 2020.
- EC Candidate Summary Sheet & Disclosure (Contact Evan Peterson for those documents)
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee
- Statement of educational philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)
Please address any inquiries or expressions of interest to:
Evan Peterson, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC