About the School
The International School of Arizona (ISA) is an independent, coeducational, 18 months through Grade 8 school with 240 students and a mission to help students “achieve bilingualism by offering a fully immersive academic program that encourages meaningful connections, maximizes future academic and professional opportunities, and boosts problem-solving, decision-making and multitasking capabilities.” The fully accredited Spanish and French language immersion programs enable students to achieve bilingualism through play, routine and the study of math, science, social studies, music, and art. The diverse, yet like-minded school community of educators and parents represents over 40 countries, creating a dynamic, international environment.
ISA has a 22-year history of preparing students for a global society in small class sizes taught by native speakers. The School’s French and Spanish immersion programs lead not only to cognitive, social and emotional development, but also to improved learning capabilities and long-term personal, professional and academic success; the school subscribes deeply to the research showing that in today’s global society, bilingualism has never been more valuable. Educational standards from France, Spain and the State of Arizona are used to create the challenging and rigorous curriculum for students from early childhood to pre-adolescence. The school is applying to become an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School in the near future.
About Scottsdale, Arizona
Scottsdale, a beautiful desert city located east of Phoenix, has a population of approximately 255,000 and is internationally known for its natural beauty and high quality of living. McDowell Mountains to the east of the city and especially the McDowell Sonoran Preserve to the north offer the outdoor enthusiast a plethora of choices to find recreation of the body, mind and spirit. As the largest urban wilderness area in the U.S., featuring more than 60 miles of trails through some of the most beautiful, diverse and scenic desert terrain, the Scottsdale area is very appealing. Be it engaging in athletic endeavors such as golf or hiking in the High Sonoran Desert, eating at one of over 800 restaurants or enjoying the arts and culture of the area, life in Scottsdale makes for a very inviting place to work and live.
About the Position
The International School of Arizona’s Board of Trustees seeks an experienced educator who embraces the school’s mission, who appreciates its core values and who can help build and realize a vision for the school’s future.
The next Head of School should be someone who:
- likes children and will encourage them to be explorers of the world around themselves
- appreciates the ISA vision to deliver academic excellence, promote global awareness and inspire tomorrow’s leaders.
- is capable of exciting a community around a vision and turn that vision into reality.
- has experience with organizational structures and the capacity and skills to nurture change and growth as needed.
- has the confidence to work in partnership with and in service to the board.
- appreciates and values bilingual, global education.
- demonstrates strong management and leadership skills in a diverse environment.
- has a proven record of being a strong and effective communicator.
- is hands-on, open, personable, and optimistic.
- is a collaborative decision maker.
- is decisive, yet respectful of differing points of view.
- possesses business acumen and can be a creative problem solver.
- is an enthusiastic “friend” raiser and fundraiser.
- demonstrates integrity and a strong ethical guide star.
- is an excellent judge of talent in the recruitment and hiring process.
- has a master’s degree or the equivalent.
- is proficient in a second language – a plus.
- has experience with the IB – a plus.
- has experience in American international schools – a plus.
How to Apply
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following documents by November 30, 2020.
- EC Candidate Summary Sheet (contact Joan Beauregard or Sally Mixsell for this document)
- Letter of Interest addressed to the Search Committee
- Current Resume
- Statement of Educational Philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (name, relationship to candidate, phone and email addresses)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)
Application materials are to be sent in a single Word document or PDF.
Please address any inquiries or expressions of interest to:
Joan Beauregard, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC
Sally Mixsell, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC