About the School
Elmwood Franklin School is a co-ed day school, preschool (3 year old) to grade 8, with an enrollment of 295 students located in Buffalo New York.
Elmwood Franklin School is the oldest independent school in Western New York with a preschool through eighth grade configuration. The faculty, parents, and board remain committed to its elementary school tradition.
The Elmwood School was founded in 1889 as a kindergarten. The Franklin School, established in 1891, was connected to the Department of Pedagogy at Buffalo Normal College (now Buffalo State College). Course work at Franklin was rigidly tied to the classics and foreign languages. In 1941, the Elmwood School and the Franklin School merged and moved to the Elmwood School Campus on Bryant Street in Buffalo. In 1951, Elmwood Franklin School moved to its current location, a 5-acre campus in a centrally located, residential section of Buffalo.
Today Elmwood Franklin School continues to thrive, with robust enrollment, excellent financial health, and a fine physical plant. The school enjoys a special place in Buffalo’s historical and current educational scene and stands ready to carry out its historic mission of academic excellence into the 21st century.
Elmwood Franklin School’s mission is to prepare children for success in life. Its core values include community, creative inquiry, character, and individual excellence.
About the Position
Elmwood Franklin School Search Committee seeks an experienced and innovative educator who embraces the school’s mission, who appreciates its core values, and who can help build and realize a vision for the school’s future.
The specific qualities and traits most sought include the following:
- Strong communicator
- Hands-on, open and personable
- A love of school life, teaching, and learning with eager children and caring adults
- Understands today’s learners
- Clear, collaborative leader and decision maker
- A leader who possesses business acumen and who is comfortable in raising funds
- Decisive, yet respectful of differing points of view
- An ethical person of integrity
- Team builder
- Appreciates importance of and embraces diversity
- Appreciation for and interest in living in the Western New York
How to Apply
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following documents:
- EC Candidate Summary Sheet (contact Evan Peterson or Doug Cummings for this document)
- Letter of Interest addressed to the Search Committee
- Current Resume
- Personal Statement or Statement of Educational Philosophy
- A list of five or more references with contact information (name, relationship to candidate and contact information – phone and email addresses)
- Up to three letters of reference (optional)
Application materials are to be sent in a single Word document or PDF.
Please address any inquiries or expressions of interest to:
Evan Peterson, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC
Doug Cummings, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC