Founded in 1911, Columbus Academy is a PreK-12 coeducational college preparatory day school of over a thousand students located on a picturesque campus ten miles from downtown Columbus, Ohio. Student programs are organized into three divisions: Lower School (PreK-Grade 5), Middle School (Grades 6-8) and Upper School (Grades 9-12). The school offers a rigorous academic program as part of its mission to educate the whole child – mind, body and character. Columbus Academy faculty and staff members are expected to be continuous learners in their fields, to engage in caring and cooperative partnerships with colleagues and parents, to have a demonstrated commitment to the values of equity and inclusion, and to help each student reach his or her full potential.
Columbus Academy seeks an Assistant Head for Student Outreach with responsibilities to begin July 1, 2022, or at a mutually agreed upon date. This position reports to the Head of School and is a member of the Head’s leadership team. S/he is charged with designing new initiatives around student community outreach (both service – or -volunteer) initiatives for CA students and connections to various neighborhoods in the community to draw students to the school for enrollment. The incumbent manages the divisional diversity practitioners, the Director of Summer Experience and After School programs and teaches one class in the Upper or Middle School.
The individual selected to this position will be expected to carry out the following responsibilities:
- Be knowledgeable and able to articulate the Columbus Academy’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and function as its chief articulator within the School and in the community.
- Manage the divisional diversity practitioners in the implementation of the DEI Program
- Manage all Special Programs and supervise the Director of Special Programs. Act as visionary chief administrator of CASE (Columbus Academy after school care program) and Summer Experience.
- Plan and implement additional summer programs as fit within the “student outreach” plan.
- Work closely with the Admission Office and Development Office to align priorities of outreach initiatives.
- Be a visible and positive presence in the life of the School.
- Contribute to an orderly, controlled environment in which learning can take place in a school climate that is supportive and reflects high morale.
- Be aware of the educational, physical, social and psychological needs of the school community and develop plans for meeting those needs.
- Strive for unity, harmony and cooperation through tact, helpfulness, respect and the recognition of individual differences and the special abilities and strengths of every member of the school community.
- Hold students accountable for the school’s standards of behavior.
- Work with others in the school community to support each student’s emotional well-being.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
Common Qualification Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred
- 2-3 years of experience as an administrative leader, preferably in independent schools
- Proven success at working collaboratively in educational leadership
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills
- Strategic thinker and empathetic problem solver
- Technologically savvy
- A reflective practitioner, committed to a continuous process of self-improvement and lifelong learning
- Ability to work collaboratively
Candidates must be able to manage the following conditions:
- Mobility around school buildings and on different floors (handicap accessible)
- Repetitive motion (use of a computer keyboard)
- Periodic need to move light furniture, carry objects (no more than 40 pounds), etc.
- A non-smoking environment
All Columbus Academy employees must pass required criminal records checks. Where appropriate, individuals will also be required to provide proof of academic credentials.
Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume, personal statement and list of five references with email addresses and phone numbers to:
Deirdre A. Ling, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative
Columbus Academy believes strongly in the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. We seek to identify and hire a greater number of faculty of color to serve as role models for all students. We strive to foster a diverse campus community, which recognizes the value of all persons regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability or socio-economic background.