About the School
Shattuck-St. Mary’s – Luo Fu Mountain seeks outstanding candidates for the founding Head of School for a new 7th -12th boarding school in China
The School opens in the Fall of 2020 at Luo Fu Mountain with tentative plans to open at an interim site in Shenzhen in the Fall of 2019.
The school seeks a high-energy, experienced professional to serve as the school leader, starting with an initial full year of planning, staffing, and recruiting in 2018-2019. In the school’s inaugural year of 2019-2020, this individual will lead a team of pioneers in a school that promises a world-class education led by world-class instructors in a world-class destination. At capacity in future years, the campus expects to welcome between 800-1000 students representing all provinces of China.
Luo Fu Mountain, located in Huizhou in Guangdong Province, is known as the most famous mountain in the Lingnan area in southern China. Consisting of Mt. Luo and Mt. Fu, it abounds with tourist attractions including 432 peaks, 980 waterfalls and springs, and 18 Taoist grotto-heavens. The highest point of the mountain is the Feiyun Peak in the Luo Mountain area reaching 4,252 feet (1,296 meters). Among the hundreds of waterfalls in the area, the best known and the largest in all of Guangdong Province is the Baishuimen Waterfall. In addition, the Baishuili Waterfall and Huanglong Grotto Waterfall are also well-known in the area for their beauty and power. The craggy peaks and rock outcroppings, together with surging waterfalls and verdant trees, make the mountain an appealing tourist destination.
The scenic and rural Luo Fu Mountain region is conveniently located 70 miles north of Shenzhen and 75 miles east of Guangzhou.
The Head of School is responsible for all aspects of the opening of the new SSM-LFM campus, with support and in consultation with SSM’s President and Chief International Officer. This includes but is not limited to consultation with the architects and campus designers, creating and implementing a marketing/student recruitment plan, recruiting and hiring an exemplary faculty, and interfacing as needed with the local investor. Once the school opens, the Head is responsible for all aspects of the School with special attention given to the health, welfare, morale, scheduling, and activities of both its students and faculty. Basic responsibility lies in the development, communication, and coordination of a sound overall environment conducive to the educational objectives of the School.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and manage the annual operational budget, in conjunction with Business Office personnel
- Oversee the admissions process, ensuring appropriate students are enrolled
- Develop a high functioning, cohesive, and innovative administrative team
- Oversee all auxillary functions of the school’s operation, including food service, maintenance & facilities, security, and housekeeping
- Hire and retain top faculty by maintaining an energized, supportive, and collegial environment that promotes collaboration and professional growth.
- Oversee the faculty in meeting their teaching, advising, and other assigned responsibilities, and in the maintenance of effective communications with colleagues, parents, and students.
- Provide leadership in the development and maintenance of a high level of student morale, good student-community relationships, and satisfactory levels of student conduct and appearance as set forth in the school’s philosophy and policies.
- Develop policies and regulations relating to the daily academic, extra-curricular, co-curricular, and social activities of the School
- Evaluate members of the faculty, other instructional support staff, and administrative office support staff in partnership.
- Orchestrate a comprehensive evaluation process that includes all faculty roles, including residential life, co-curricular responsibilities and advisory responsibilities.
- Work with the US & MS Directors on the development, implementation and evaluation of the advisory curriculum and student assemblies.
- Create the master class schedule including assignment of teaching and other duties necessary for the operation of the School.
How to Apply
Candidates who are interested are asked to submit the following documents:
- Candidate Summary Sheet (available upon request)
- Cover letter
- Personal statement or statement of educational philosophy
- List of 4+ references with contact information and connection to candidate
- 2-4 letters of recommendation, if available
Please submit materials to:
Mary Seppala, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC (email: email@example.com, phone: 610-772-7625)